Saturday, March 26, 2011

What's for dinner?

I am the mom of teenagers. This means we eat a lot of pizza.  It is the food of choice for slumber parties and study groups. Delivery pizza. Frozen pizza. Mini bagel pizza. The kids aren't picky.

I on the other hand am picky. I like a thin, but not crispy crust. And something besides just cheese and pepperoni. In search of better pizza I started making my own. I've made a variety of crusts and this is my current favorite. It doesn't require the bread machine. It has some whole wheat for better flavor, but is lightened with all purpose flour. It's quick and easy and requires a minimal rise time. Easy and yummy.

NYTimes Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus additional for brushing the pizza crusts
1 1/4 cups stone ground whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus additional if necessary for kneading
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1. Combine the yeast and water in a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. Add the sugar, and stir together. Let sit two or three minutes, until the water is cloudy. Stir in the olive oil.
2. Combine the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour and salt in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Pulse once or twice. Then, with the machine running, pour in the yeast mixture. Process until the dough forms a ball on the blades. Remove from the processor (the dough will be a little tacky; flour or moisten your hands so it won’t stick), and knead on a lightly floured surface for a couple of minutes, adding flour as necessary for a smooth dough.

And that's it! Hop on over to the Times for ideas on toppings. Or click through to the other Recipes for Health. Always an inspiration to me in the kitchen.

What are  you cooking? What's inspiring for you when you are planning your menu?

ETA: Great timing! Here's a new recipe for  a new topping for your pizza dough.

6 comments:

  1. One of my favourites:-
    Lightly great a lasagne dish or similar. Chop leeks finely at bottom, followed by thin slices of carrot and potato, season well, then top with a salmon fillet. Cover with herbs and a few blobs of butter. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for approx 50 mins 180 degrees. Then enjoy. Mx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting recipe! Got to try it.

    BTW, I'm hosting Serenity Woods and she's talking about e-publishing and she'll also do a giveaway!

    www.nas-dean.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the idea, Morton. My husband loves salmon.

    Just stopped by, Nas, but thanks for the heads up all the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I am soooo glad that I found your blog (via the 1K stuff). I have been searching for a good whole wheat pizza crust recipe! I thank you so much for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since the NYT is going subscription tomorrow here's the rest of the basic recipe.

    Preheat the oven to 450 degrees with a baking stone inside. Roll or press out the pizza dough, and line a 12- to 14-inch pan. Brush all but the rim of the crust with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.

    ReplyDelete