Monday, May 9, 2011

Watching my Kid Cry

Yesterday was Mother's Day. I had a lovely day. Coffee in bed. Handmade cards from the girls. My husband made dinner and the kids cleaned up. I read a lot and even wrote enough to have felt productive. It seemed a perfect day.

Until my daughter came to me in tears. A friend of hers told her that she had attempted suicide. The girl doesn't even live in the same city as we do. The suicide attempt is long over and the girl is seeing a therapist. There really was no reason to fear it would be repeated.

It was hard for to imagine Patience. Her friend, who I'll call Sally, is just the sunniest and most fun FB friend that Patience has. Although they haven't seen each other in a couple of years, their internet friendship is strong and it is a rare week when they don't talk to each other. It was hard for Patience to realize how little we really know of what someone truly feels.

It is an awful thing to see my child so sad and know that there really is nothing that I can say to make it better. It's awful that kids feel that alone, even when they have friends who love them so. It's awful to know that you can't fix everything for your friends.

My heart hurts.

11 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Isn't it strange how things that affect your children seem amplified. I always say I would rather have anything myself than have them suffer mentally or physically. I guess things like this are part of the process of learning about the world. Hugs to you and daughter. Mx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, that's tough to deal with. Hugs to both of you. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies. She is feeling a bit better today. I think she was really scared by it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watching your kid cry is the hardest thing in the world. Hugs to you,your daughter, and her friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Aimee. I miss the days when a band-aid and a kiss would make it all better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, that's sad. I know what you mean; it's so hard when kids grow up. And it just shows you how much of what people feel goes unsaid, even amongst friends. I guess that's an important thing we have to remember for our characters too. Ehugs and choccie to you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think sometimes what is left unsaid is more meaningful than the things we say aloud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh no hon, hope everyone is ok now. Its heartbreaking when a "magic" mum kiss can't fix it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Cherie. I just want to make the world a kinder place for her. I don't think I'm making progress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor Patience I hope she feels better today. The positive I guess is that although her friend didn't confide in her at the time she trusts Patience enough to confide in her now which is a sign of a good friendship. It's hard that first real glimpse of how hard things are under the surface even for people we think we know wellx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, hugs to you both x

    At least you have a strong relationship where Patience can come and talk to you about these things. Too many kids nowadays don't have that support system in place.

    x

    ReplyDelete